A compilation of my thoughts and learnings...

Monday, February 12, 2007

Hope - the fuel of life!

A few years back, I was with my uncle, giving him a quick tour around Bangalore. We suddenly came across a small crossing. There was a horde of people crowded over a very small shop. When we moved closer, I saw that it was a lottery shop and there were lots of auto-rickshaws parked nearby. My instant reaction on seeing this was, "These guys are crazy. They earn a meagre amount of money every day and then they go to the lottery shops to burn everything. Don't they care about their families...". On hearing this, my uncle said something which got deeply entrenched in my mind and heart. He said "It is this hope, of winning a lottery one day, that is keeping most of these people alive. If they lose this hope, given the amount of problems in their lives, they would simply die..."

Today, another interesting incident happened. Some of my roommate's friends were in town to give entrance exams for PG courses in medicine. They had stayed with us over the weekend, and were leaving today. While they were leaving, my roommate asked them to make sure that they hadn't accidentally left behind any of their belongings. To this, one of the guys jokingly replied, "Arre bhaiya, chinta mat karo. Ek student ke pass hota hi kya hai. Bas ek roll number aur ek pen..." (Don't worry friend. What does a student have. Only a roll number and a pen). I don't know what happened to me, but I instinctively replied, "Ummeedein" (Hopes). Everyone, including me, was surprised with this response. But when it sank in, all of us nodded our heads in agreement. And instantaneously, the above mentioned incident flashed through my mind!

Later in the day, when I thought more about these incidents, I realized that, subconsciously, I had said something which was so very true. Aren't we all living in hope? In hope of leading a happy life. In hope of having a successful career. In hope of achieving our dreams...

If there were no hope, there won't be any life!

No comments: